Year 5 blog

Life and learning

Bikeabilty leaflet to read as homework

on May 9, 2014

SSP Highway Code Booklet 2

SSP Highway Code Booklet 3

SSP Highway Code Booklet 4

SSP Highway Code Booklet 5

SSP Highway Code Booklet

You need to familiarise yourself with this road safety information for cyclists before next week. We would like you to write a question on the blog for your friends about road safety, which they can then find the answer to in the leaflet.

47 Responses to “Bikeabilty leaflet to read as homework”

1. rachel says:

where will we be going

2. rachel says:

will there be cars going past when we do it on the road

3. Rachel Green says:

Will we be in groups or will we be riding together as a whole class?

4. Iona says:

What do round signs tell you?

• Harry says:

They are orders; you must obey them or you will be breaking the law. Examples of circular signs are: speed limits; no entry and one way!

5. Rhys says:

Where will we be cycling?

• You will all be cycling on the playground to start with then those of you who are able to ride safely and confidently will be going outside school. There will be some cycling on the RAF Base and possibly on the roads around Waddington, depending on the traffic. All of you will be well supervised at all times and will gain confidence to ride safely on the roads. The Year 5 and 6 children have really benefited from this experience In the past. I hope you are looking forward to it. Miss Pallister

6. Daisy says:

What road sign would there be if there was 2 ways to turn?

7. What should you do before making any manoeuvre whilst riding your bike on the road?

8. Darcy Palmer says:

How far will we be cycling? and will there be special trainers coming or just staff?

9. becca.j says:

why shouldn’t you wear loose clothing?

10. Charlie says:

What could help you at night?

11. Owen says:

Are we still wearing our normal school uniform?

12. Corbyn says:

Will we go on a road or path?

13. Alex B says:

What can you wear in the day time to help you been seen?

14. Nancy says:

its illegal to ride on the path

15. Austin wood says:

what should u wear in the daytime ?

16. Laila says:

You should wear a reflector jacket so cars can see you through the day aswell as through the night.

17. Mrs Anderson says:

These are great questions Year 5? Can you ask a question about the layout of the leaflet? Such as…
    Who is the target audience? How have they ensured that the leaflet is suitable for the audience?

18. Lena says:

the bike ability was sooooooooooooooooooo fun and i really enjoyed myself .

19. Olivia says:

Answering there questions :What keeps you protected and what main colour should you where on a bike??
    This answer is fluorescent. It is mostly yellow but some people have green or pink. This is because they are reflected colours. You may notice there will be a silver, glowing in the dark strap around your jacket or anything that helps you too keep safe on the roads. This is what is kind of like a backup for the jacket and keeps you seen in the dark. It is very important that you where this as if you cross the road and a car is coming, they will not see you and there will be trouble. This is why reflective gear is really important.

Question: Is it law to wear a helmet on a road? If not do you think it should be??

Olivia Thompson yr.5

• Kian says:

It is not the law that you must wear a helmet as some people find them uncomfortable or silly so it is your own personal choice to wear one. I prefer to wear one.

• Ellie Thiis says:

Olivia I like your question and I do think it should be law as it is the most sensible.
      🙂 By Ellie.T

20. Harry says:

what should you do before turning onto a major road from a minor?also should you give way?

21. Holly says:

My question:
    Why so you have to keep both hands on the handle bars unless you are signalling or changing gear?

My answer to someone else’s question:
    Is it law to wear a helmet on a road?
    It isn’t law to wear a helmet on the road but it is advised to wear one. I think that it should be law because it is much safer and if you fall off or get knocked of your bike by a vehicle your head would have some protection.

22. Victoria says:

I think that the leaflet is aimed at anyone because it is easy to take in. Plus, some adults might not know that information.

23. Kian says:

What could you use to keep loose clothing out of the way of the chain or wheel?

24. Victoria says:

I think the leaflet is aimed at anyone because the information is easy to take in. Plus some adults might not know the information.

What would happen if a car over took you when you were going round a corner and is this allowed?

25. Marcus Jones says:

It is not illegal to not wear a helmet but as part of health and safety it is strongly recommended to wear one.
    Question:How do you feel about over 10 not being aloud to ride on the path and why?

26. phoebe says:

Will Bikeability be coming again or doing any clubs? I’d love to make training a usual habait!:D

27. Matthew Proctor says:

The purpose of the leaflet is to give me a quick reminder of all the things I learnt in a quick and easy method. I like the bold highlights to draw my eye.

28. Ellie Thiis says:

Question: Why do the signs have pictures and not words?

🙂 By Ellie.T 🙂

29. luke says:

I think the perpose of this leaflet is to show everyone how to ride a bike propley
    and savly

30. luke says:

Qustion:Why is it illegal to ride on the path